Unless you have been living in a cave, you've most likely seen the trailer for the upcoming Supergirl TV show -- some one time, some hundreds of times on a repeating loop! In any case, while we still are on Cloud 9 here over at SuperWomenMania.com the prospects of a show revolving around Kara Zor-el, the concept of a major motion picture starring Supergirl is just as exciting! So.....
Continuing with the common theme of May being the "Month of Supergirl", we decided that we'll continue the trend with the next Graphical Workshop and base it on designing a photoshopped movie poster featuring the Girl of Steel in her very own movie!
We understand this is coming on the heels of so much Supergirl content and news, but this contest is meant to spark creativity and originality, not simply take a screengrab from the trailer and dump some wordart on it! No, this is your opportunity to fulfill your own wish list in terms of a Supergirl movie. Think Melissa Benoist was a bad choice? Use someone else! Always wanted to see Kara in a movie as a Red Lantern? Now's your chance! Wanna see Supergirl up against Doomsday? Go for it! Use your imagination!!!
Along those lines, we will not prohibit the use of past/present Supergirl actresses (Helen Slater, Laura Vandervoort, or Melissa Benoist), BUT do not just use a complete screengrab from a professionally shot trailer and pass it off as original. Remember that remark about people seeing the trailer hundreds of times? Well, that's us, and we'll DQ anyone trying to pass a complete scene off as their work. Again you can use their likenesses (or even parts from the trailer/movies) but you must incorporate it in a larger work. Here are some Deviant Art examples we found of what we're talking about when we mean "movie poster":
Poster Art by tr4br.deviantart.com
Oh, and this contest will have cash prizes for the top 3 entries (as voted on by our users): $60 first place, $30 second place, $10 third place. Here are the official rules (subject to change):
CONTEST RULES AND GUIDELINES
1) All entries must be submitted in digital form (jpg, gif, png) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the contest deadline at midnight EST, July 31st, 2015. All artwork should be submitted in a size no smaller than A4/letter at a resolution of 300 dpi. ALL SUBMISSIONS must be sized to 4:3 height-width ratio (ex: 1200 h x 900 w)
2) All work must be new and original. No re-circulating old works that might fit the profile of the contest, please.
3) For this contest, all submissions must be consist of photoshopped images (3D models will be accepted). Traditional 2D drawings or artwork will not be accepted.
4) Entries must be STATIC (no animations or embedded content) images. Rule of thumb is you should be able to print it out and hang it on a wall.
5) Entries MUST feature some type of movie starring Supergirl or some incarnation of her (e.g. Red Lantern Supergirl, Evil Supergirl, Earth-2 Supergirl, Bombshell Supergirl). Other characters may also be featured as long as the movie's main character IS Supergirl. Because the contest is obviously about "Supergirl", please do not use Superwoman, Powergirl, Cir-El, Andromeda or other "derivative" characters unless Supergirl is also featured.
6) Participants must incorporate multiple creative elements together for their entry. Simply taking a screenshot from the trailer and posting some word art on it will not be allowed.
7) SWM requires that any submitted artwork not be posted on other sites (e.g. DeviantArt) until AFTER all entries are posted on the site (probably a few days following the July 31st deadline). Any submitted artwork discovered in the public domain prior to this will be ineligible for prize winnings.
8) Winners will be decided by a vote of SuperWomenMania's users via an online poll, with each registered user of the site getting one vote. Our site does not allow "robot" registrations so there is little liklihood of automatically stuffing the ballot box. In the event of a tie, the tying entries will have the option of splitting the combined prize monies (if BOTH artists agree) or having the webmaster break the tie.
9) All winning cash prizes will be paid via Paypal only to the submitting artist's account
10) Any questions/clarifications about the contest or what is allowed can be directed to email@example.com. Questions can also be submitted via YIM at "larafan22".
11) Artists may submit up to 5 entries if they wish
12) SWM reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it feels have violated the rules or views as graphic or in poor taste. you think there might be an issue, please ask first.
So start clicking on those Photoshop apps and get to work everyone! Any questions, just ask!